This is my next venture in getting Dick used to my new way of cooking. This could well be the healthiest cake to ever hit my oven and probably even the most delicious carrot cake that I’ve ever made. I took this recipe from www.thehealthychef.com again, but added a few different ingredients and quantities. It’s the perfect cake for Coeliac’s, clean eaters, or just cake lovers. The recipe makes two loaf sized cakes, but you could make it into a big tall delicious cake, I’m sending one with Dick to work tomorrow for his office ladies to enjoy. We were a little bit naughty and served it with Caramel, Macadamia and Honey ice cream, goodness me it is divine!
500g (3 large) carrots, grated
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups almond meal
1/4 cup (60ml) macadamia oil
1/4 cup (160g) organic honey
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
– Preheat oven to 160C
– Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined
– Pour mix into greased loaf tins or one big cake tin and slide into the oven
– Cook for approximately one hour
– Allow to cool completely in pan before turning out to ice
I also made a Ricotta & Lemon Frosting to go on top with a few more chopped walnuts.
500g ricotta, at room temperature
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 cup (60ml) lemon juice
1/8 cup (80g) organic honey
– In a medium sized mixing bowl, add ricotta and lemon juice, mix with an electric mixer on a medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until you’ve reached the consistency of whipped cream.
– Slowly fold through cinnamon and honey being careful not to beat out the air
– Cover and refrigerate until cake has cooled and you’re ready for use
Note: It’s really important that all of your frosting ingredients are at room temperature to get the best whip possible.
Until next time, xx